Meals on Wheels Fundraising Spiel
Glace Bay Town House and the Glace Bay Citizen's League Present the Second Annual Schooner Curling Club Fundraising Spiel in Support of Meals on Wheels.
The Schooner Curling Club along with Glace Bay Townhouse sponsored the second annual Meals on Wheels Fundraising Spiel that took place at the club on January 29 and 30. While government restrictions loomed over the event this year and made planning difficult, it still went off well and was very successful. A total of ten teams, including four made up of junior curlers, took part, each playing three games that were more about the fun than the winning and all curlers were eligible for a number of door prizes that were drawn. Ticket draws, donations and other fundraisers netted the event over $1200 for the Meals on Wheels program in Glace Bay. While that was down a bit from the inaugural event last year, given the circumstances this season it's a fantastic total. Congratulations to team Townhouse, skipped by Schooner president, Richard Lorway, for taking top spot, narrowly edging out Team Gordie Cormier by only half a point in the standings. The Townhouse squad takes home the coveted Meals on Wheels trophy and maintains bragging rights until next year's event. Third place was taken by one of the junior teams, team MacLeod, and in fourth were the defending champions, Peter MacIntyre's Titans.
Overall it was a great event and a big success for a worthy cause. The Schooner Club and Townhouse Glace Bay would like to thank everyone who took part, everyone who helped out in the planning and running of the event and all local businesses, organizations and individuals who helped by sponsoring teams and making donations. We hope to see everyone back again next season for the third annual spiel. Planning is already underway.
NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED!
Guaranteed THREE games (6 ends each) between Friday & Saturday
Gather your team, small group or enter individually and help support Meals on Wheels, which provides hot & nutritious meals to seniors all year round!
Last year in the inaugural event, over $3000 was raised. Let's join in and make this year even better.
All equipment & free instruction provided by the Schooner Curling Club.
Just make sure to bring a pair of clean sneakers to go on the ice!
Friday, January 29 & Saturday, January 30
Schooner Curling Club - 61 Military Road, Sydney (old radar base)
Individual Entry: $25
Teams of four: $100
Up to 16 teams may enter
There will be a light lunch, door prizes, silent auction, 50/50, and more!
How can I help?
Townhouse Glace Bay has over 50 years’ experience serving the community. Fourteen programs, supported by approximately 200 volunteers, are available for children, adults and seniors including a low cost nursery school, summer camps, pre-employment programs, a clothing depot, seniors contact, and meals on wheels. More information can be found on Townhouse’s web site and Facebook page. Your support will help make these programs more sustainable as we look to meet the needs of the community.
Members of the Schooner Curling Club are donating the facilities and their time for this worthy cause. We are asking local business to help out as best they can. Here are five ways to support the work of Townhouse, and the Meals on Wheels Program:
1. Enter a team. The bonspiel will take place at the end of January, a perfect cure for the winter blues. We need teams and guarantee a fun time will be had, especially for those who are curling for the first time.
2. Challenge another organization. When you sign up, let us know if there is a rivalry game you would like to play against another team and we will do our best to set up the challenge.
Sponsor a team. If you wish we will find the most amazing curlers to play under the name of your business or organization.
3. Donate a small door prize. Every person who participates will be entered into a draw for door prizes. A gift certificate, BOGO coupon, 2-for1 offer, or small item from your inventory will help to recognize and thank the folks participating in the fundraising bonspiel.
4. Donate a larger item for the silent auction. This is a perfect opportunity to showcase your business or organization. Donations valued at $50 or more will be recognized by signage at the club during the spiel and a proper “thank you” during the presentation of prizes.
5. A cash donation is always welcome. The meals on wheel program is supported by a small fee ($6) to the client but it does not cover the cost of groceries, preparation, packing and delivery, most of which is done by a team of volunteers.
For more information or to enter contact Peter MacIntyre by phone (902-849-7935) or by email email@example.com
10 Teams are taking part
1. Team Cal Thistle